• (n.) A limb or member of an animal used for supporting the body,
and in running, climbing, and swimming; esp., that part of the limb
between the knee and foot.
• (n.) That which resembles a leg in form or use; especially, any
long and slender support on which any object rests; as, the leg of a
table; the leg of a pair of compasses or dividers.
• (n.) The part of any article of clothing which covers the leg; as,
the leg of a stocking or of a pair of trousers.
• (n.) A bow, esp. in the phrase to make a leg; probably from drawing
the leg backward in bowing.
• (n.) A disreputable sporting character; a blackleg.
• (n.) The course and distance made by a vessel on one tack or
• (n.) An extension of the boiler downward, in the form of a narrow
space between vertical plates, sometimes nearly surrounding the furnace
and ash pit, and serving to support the boiler; -- called also water
• (n.) The case containing the lower part of the belt which carries
• (n.) A fielder whose position is on the outside, a little in rear
of the batter.
• (v. t.) To use as a leg, with it as object
• (v. t.) To bow.
• (v. t.) To run.