• (n.) A solemn promise made to God, or to some deity; an act by
which one consecrates or devotes himself, absolutely or conditionally,
wholly or in part, for a longer or shorter time, to some act, service,
or condition; a devotion of one's possessions; as, a baptismal vow; a
vow of poverty.
• (n.) Specifically, a promise of fidelity; a pledge of love or
affection; as, the marriage vow.
• (n.) To give, consecrate, or dedicate to God, or to some deity, by
a solemn promise; to devote; to promise solemnly.
• (n.) To assert solemnly; to asseverate.
• (v. i.) To make a vow, or solemn promise.