• (adv. & conj.) Denoting equality or likeness in kind, degree, or
manner; like; similar to; in the same manner with or in which; in
accordance with; in proportion to; to the extent or degree in which or
to which; equally; no less than; as, ye shall be as gods, knowing good
and evil; you will reap as you sow; do as you are bidden.
• (adv. & conj.) In the idea, character, or condition of, -- limiting
the view to certain attributes or relations; as, virtue considered as
virtue; this actor will appear as Hamlet.
• (adv. & conj.) While; during or at the same time that; when; as, he
trembled as he spoke.
• (adv. & conj.) Because; since; it being the case that.
• (adv. & conj.) Expressing concession. (Often approaching though in
• (adv. & conj.) That, introducing or expressing a result or
consequence, after the correlatives so and such.
• (adv. & conj.) As if; as though.
• (adv. & conj.) For instance; by way of example; thus; -- used to
introduce illustrative phrases, sentences, or citations.
• (adv. & conj.) Than.
• (adv. & conj.) Expressing a wish.
• (n.) An ace.
• (n.) A Roman weight, answering to the libra or pound, equal to
nearly eleven ounces Troy weight. It was divided into twelve ounces.
• (n.) A Roman copper coin, originally of a pound weight (12 oz.); but
reduced, after the first Punic war, to two ounces; in the second Punic
war, to one ounce; and afterwards to half an ounce.