• (n.) An instrument such as a hammer, saw, plane, file, and the
like, used in the manual arts, to facilitate mechanical operations; any
instrument used by a craftsman or laborer at his work; an implement;
as, the tools of a joiner, smith, shoe-maker, etc.; also, a cutter,
chisel, or other part of an instrument or machine that dresses work.
• (n.) A machine for cutting or shaping materials; -- also called
• (n.) Hence, any instrument of use or service.
• (n.) A weapon.
• (n.) A person used as an instrument by another person; -- a word
of reproach; as, men of intrigue have their tools, by whose agency they
accomplish their purposes.
• (v. t.) To shape, form, or finish with a tool.
• (v. t.) To drive, as a coach.