• (superl.) Free from spots, specks, dirt, or imperfection;
unblemished; clean; pure.
• (superl.) Pleasing to the eye; handsome; beautiful.
• (superl.) Without a dark hue; light; clear; as, a fair skin.
• (superl.) Not overcast; cloudless; clear; pleasant; propitious;
favorable; -- said of the sky, weather, or wind, etc.; as, a fair sky;
a fair day.
• (superl.) Free from obstacles or hindrances; unobstructed;
unincumbered; open; direct; -- said of a road, passage, etc.; as, a
fair mark; in fair sight; a fair view.
• (superl.) Without sudden change of direction or curvature; smooth;
fowing; -- said of the figure of a vessel, and of surfaces, water
lines, and other lines.
• (superl.) Characterized by frankness, honesty, impartiality, or
candor; open; upright; free from suspicion or bias; equitable; just; --
said of persons, character, or conduct; as, a fair man; fair dealing; a
• (superl.) Pleasing; favorable; inspiring hope and confidence; --
said of words, promises, etc.
• (superl.) Distinct; legible; as, fair handwriting.
• (superl.) Free from any marked characteristic; average; middling;
as, a fair specimen.
• (adv.) Clearly; openly; frankly; civilly; honestly; favorably;
• (n.) Fairness, beauty.
• (n.) A fair woman; a sweetheart.
• (n.) Good fortune; good luck.
• (v. t.) To make fair or beautiful.
• (v. t.) To make smooth and flowing, as a vessel's lines.
• (n.) A gathering of buyers and sellers, assembled at a particular
place with their merchandise at a stated or regular season, or by
special appointment, for trade.
• (n.) A festival, and sale of fancy articles. erc., usually for
some charitable object; as, a Grand Army fair.
• (n.) A competitive exhibition of wares, farm products, etc., not
primarily for purposes of sale; as, the Mechanics' fair; an