• (n.) Any one of numerous species of small passerine birds native
of tropical America. See Banana quit, under Banana, and Guitguit.
• (v.) Released from obligation, charge, penalty, etc.; free; clear;
• (imp. & p. p.) of Quit
• (a.) To set at rest; to free, as from anything harmful or
oppressive; to relieve; to clear; to liberate.
• (a.) To release from obligation, accusation, penalty, or the like;
to absolve; to acquit.
• (a.) To discharge, as an obligation or duty; to meet and satisfy,
as a claim or debt; to make payment for or of; to requite; to repay.
• (a.) To meet the claims upon, or expectations entertained of; to
conduct; to acquit; -- used reflexively.
• (a.) To carry through; to go through to the end.
• (a.) To have done with; to cease from; to stop; hence, to depart
from; to leave; to forsake; as, to quit work; to quit the place; to
• (v. i.) To away; to depart; to stop doing a thing; to cease.