• (v. t.) To discolor by the application of foreign matter; to make
foul; to spot; as, to stain the hand with dye; armor stained with
• (v. t.) To color, as wood, glass, paper, cloth, or the like, by
processess affecting, chemically or otherwise, the material itself; to
tinge with a color or colors combining with, or penetrating, the
substance; to dye; as, to stain wood with acids, colored washes, paint
rubbed in, etc.; to stain glass.
• (v. t.) To spot with guilt or infamy; to bring reproach on; to
blot; to soil; to tarnish.
• (v. t.) To cause to seem inferior or soiled by comparison.
• (v. i.) To give or receive a stain; to grow dim.
• (n.) A discoloration by foreign matter; a spot; as, a stain on a
garment or cloth.
• (n.) A natural spot of a color different from the gound.
• (n.) Taint of guilt; tarnish; disgrace; reproach.
• (n.) Cause of reproach; shame.
• (n.) A tincture; a tinge.