• (n.) The whole duration of a being, whether animal, vegetable, or
other kind; lifetime.
• (n.) That part of the duration of a being or a thing which is
between its beginning and any given time; as, what is the present age
of a man, or of the earth?
• (n.) The latter part of life; an advanced period of life;
seniority; state of being old.
• (n.) One of the stages of life; as, the age of infancy, of youth,
• (n.) Mature age; especially, the time of life at which one attains
full personal rights and capacities; as, to come of age; he (or she) is
• (n.) The time of life at which some particular power or capacity is
understood to become vested; as, the age of consent; the age of
• (n.) A particular period of time in history, as distinguished from
others; as, the golden age, the age of Pericles.
• (n.) A great period in the history of the Earth.
• (n.) A century; the period of one hundred years.
• (n.) The people who live at a particular period; hence, a
• (n.) A long time.
• (v. i.) To grow aged; to become old; to show marks of age; as, he
grew fat as he aged.
• (v. t.) To cause to grow old; to impart the characteristics of age
to; as, grief ages us.