• (superl.) Living in a state of nature; inhabiting natural haunts,
as the forest or open field; not familiar with, or not easily
approached by, man; not tamed or domesticated; as, a wild boar; a wild
ox; a wild cat.
• (superl.) Growing or produced without culture; growing or prepared
without the aid and care of man; native; not cultivated; brought forth
by unassisted nature or by animals not domesticated; as, wild parsnip,
wild camomile, wild strawberry, wild honey.
• (superl.) Desert; not inhabited or cultivated; as, wild land.
• (superl.) Savage; uncivilized; not refined by culture; ferocious;
rude; as, wild natives of Africa or America.
• (superl.) Not submitted to restraint, training, or regulation;
turbulent; tempestuous; violent; ungoverned; licentious; inordinate;
disorderly; irregular; fanciful; imaginary; visionary; crazy.
• (superl.) Exposed to the wind and sea; unsheltered; as, a wild
• (superl.) Indicating strong emotion, intense excitement, or
/ewilderment; as, a wild look.
• (superl.) Hard to steer; -- said of a vessel.
• (n.) An uninhabited and uncultivated tract or region; a forest or
desert; a wilderness; a waste; as, the wilds of America; the wilds of
• (adv.) Wildly; as, to talk wild.