• (v. t.) To wind cylindrically or spirally; as, to coil a rope when
not in use; the snake coiled itself before springing.
• (v. t.) To encircle and hold with, or as with, coils.
• (v. i.) To wind itself cylindrically or spirally; to form a coil;
to wind; -- often with about or around.
• (n.) A ring, series of rings, or spiral, into which a rope, or
other like thing, is wound.
• (n.) Fig.: Entanglement; toil; mesh; perplexity.
• (n.) A series of connected pipes in rows or layers, as in a steam
• (n.) A noise, tumult, bustle, or confusion.