• (n.) the horny scale of plate of epidermis at the end of the
fingers and toes of man and many apes.
• (n.) The basal thickened portion of the anterior wings of certain
• (n.) The terminal horny plate on the beak of ducks, and other
• (n.) A slender, pointed piece of metal, usually with a head, used
for fastening pieces of wood or other material together, by being
driven into or through them.
• (a.) A measure of length, being two inches and a quarter, or the
sixteenth of a yard.
• (n.) To fasten with a nail or nails; to close up or secure by
means of nails; as, to nail boards to the beams.
• (n.) To stud or boss with nails, or as with nails.
• (n.) To fasten, as with a nail; to bind or hold, as to a bargain
or to acquiescence in an argument or assertion; hence, to catch; to
• (n.) To spike, as a cannon.