• (pref.) In the neighborhood of; near or next to; not far from; close
to; along with; as, come and sit by me.
• (pref.) On; along; in traversing. Compare 5.
• (pref.) Near to, while passing; hence, from one to the other side
of; past; as, to go by a church.
• (pref.) Used in specifying adjacent dimensions; as, a cabin twenty
feet by forty.
• (pref.) Against.
• (pref.) With, as means, way, process, etc.; through means of; with
aid of; through; through the act or agency of; as, a city is destroyed
by fire; profit is made by commerce; to take by force.
• (adv.) Near; in the neighborhood; present; as, there was no person
by at the time.
• (adv.) Passing near; going past; past; beyond; as, the procession
has gone by; a bird flew by.
• (adv.) Aside; as, to lay by; to put by.
• (a.) Out of the common path; aside; -- used in composition, giving
the meaning of something aside, secondary, or incidental, or collateral
matter, a thing private or avoiding notice; as, by-line, by-place,
by-play, by-street. It was formerly more freely used in composition
than it is now; as, by-business, by-concernment, by-design,