• (n.) Having inequalities, small ridges, or points, on the
surface; not smooth or plain; as, a rough board; a rough stone; rough
• (n.) Not level; having a broken surface; uneven; -- said of a
piece of land, or of a road.
• (n.) Not polished; uncut; -- said of a gem; as, a rough diamond.
• (n.) Tossed in waves; boisterous; high; -- said of a sea or other
piece of water.
• (n.) Marked by coarseness; shaggy; ragged; disordered; -- said of
dress, appearance, or the like; as, a rough coat.
• (n.) Hence, figuratively, lacking refinement, gentleness, or
• (n.) Not courteous or kind; harsh; rude; uncivil; as, a rough
• (n.) Marked by severity or violence; harsh; hard; as, rough
measures or actions.
• (n.) Loud and hoarse; offensive to the ear; harsh; grating; --
said of sound, voice, and the like; as, a rough tone; rough numbers.
• (n.) Austere; harsh to the taste; as, rough wine.
• (n.) Tempestuous; boisterous; stormy; as, rough weather; a rough
• (n.) Hastily or carelessly done; wanting finish; incomplete; as,
a rough estimate; a rough draught.
• (n.) Produced offhand.
• (n.) Boisterous weather.
• (n.) A rude fellow; a coarse bully; a rowdy.
• (adv.) In a rough manner; rudely; roughly.
• (v. t.) To render rough; to roughen.
• (v. t.) To break in, as a horse, especially for military
• (v. t.) To cut or make in a hasty, rough manner; -- with out; as,
to rough out a carving, a sketch.