• (prep.) In a general sense, from, or out from; proceeding from;
belonging to; relating to; concerning; -- used in a variety of
• (prep.) Denoting that from which anything proceeds; indicating
origin, source, descent, and the like; as, he is of a race of kings; he
is of noble blood.
• (prep.) Denoting possession or ownership, or the relation of subject
to attribute; as, the apartment of the consul: the power of the king; a
man of courage; the gate of heaven.
• (prep.) Denoting the material of which anything is composed, or that
which it contains; as, a throne of gold; a sword of steel; a wreath of
mist; a cup of water.
• (prep.) Denoting part of an aggregate or whole; belonging to a
number or quantity mentioned; out of; from amongst; as, of this little
he had some to spare; some of the mines were unproductive; most of the
• (prep.) Denoting that by which a person or thing is actuated or
impelled; also, the source of a purpose or action; as, they went of
their own will; no body can move of itself; he did it of necessity.
• (prep.) Denoting reference to a thing; about; concerning; relating
to; as, to boast of one's achievements.
• (prep.) Denoting nearness or distance, either in space or time;
from; as, within a league of the town; within an hour of the appointed
• (prep.) Denoting identity or equivalence; -- used with a name or
appellation, and equivalent to the relation of apposition; as, the
continent of America; the city of Rome; the Island of Cuba.
• (prep.) Denoting the agent, or person by whom, or thing by which,
anything is, or is done; by.
• (prep.) Denoting relation to place or time; belonging to, or
connected with; as, men of Athens; the people of the Middle Ages; in
the days of Herod.
• (prep.) Denoting passage from one state to another; from.
• (prep.) During; in the course of.