• (pron.) The neuter pronoun of the third person, corresponding to the
masculine pronoun he and the feminine she, and having the same plural
(they, their or theirs, them).
• (pron.) As a substance for any noun of the neuter gender; as, here
is the book, take it home.
• (pron.) As a demonstrative, especially at the beginning of a
sentence, pointing to that which is about to be stated, named, or
mentioned, or referring to that which apparent or well known; as, I saw
it was John.
• (pron.) As an indefinite nominative for a impersonal verb; as, it
snows; it rains.
• (pron.) As a substitute for such general terms as, the state of
affairs, the condition of things, and the like; as, how is it with the
• (pron.) As an indefinite object after some intransitive verbs, or
after a substantive used humorously as a verb; as, to foot it (i. e.,