• (n.) A charge, especially a pecuniary burden which is imposed by
• (n.) A charge or burden laid upon persons or property for the
support of a government.
• (n.) Especially, the sum laid upon specific things, as upon polls,
lands, houses, income, etc.; as, a land tax; a window tax; a tax on
carriages, and the like.
• (n.) A sum imposed or levied upon the members of a society to
defray its expenses.
• (n.) A task exacted from one who is under control; a contribution
or service, the rendering of which is imposed upon a subject.
• (n.) A disagreeable or burdensome duty or charge; as, a heavy tax
on time or health.
• (n.) Charge; censure.
• (n.) A lesson to be learned; a task.
• (n.) To subject to the payment of a tax or taxes; to impose a tax
upon; to lay a burden upon; especially, to exact money from for the
support of government.
• (n.) To assess, fix, or determine judicially, the amount of; as, to
tax the cost of an action in court.
• (n.) To charge; to accuse; also, to censure; -- often followed by
with, rarely by of before an indirect object; as, to tax a man with