• (n.) The act of following or pursuing, as game; pursuit.
• (n.) The act of suing; the process by which one endeavors to gain
an end or an object; an attempt to attain a certain result; pursuit;
• (n.) The act of wooing in love; the solicitation of a woman in
• (n.) The attempt to gain an end by legal process; an action or
process for the recovery of a right or claim; legal application to a
court for justice; prosecution of right before any tribunal; as, a
civil suit; a criminal suit; a suit in chancery.
• (n.) That which follows as a retinue; a company of attendants or
followers; the assembly of persons who attend upon a prince,
magistrate, or other person of distinction; -- often written suite, and
• (n.) Things that follow in a series or succession; the individual
objects, collectively considered, which constitute a series, as of
rooms, buildings, compositions, etc.; -- often written suite, and
• (n.) A number of things used together, and generally necessary to
be united in order to answer their purpose; a number of things
ordinarily classed or used together; a set; as, a suit of curtains; a
suit of armor; a suit of clothes.
• (n.) One of the four sets of cards which constitute a pack; --
each set consisting of thirteen cards bearing a particular emblem, as
hearts, spades, cubs, or diamonds.
• (n.) Regular order; succession.
• (v. t.) To fit; to adapt; to make proper or suitable; as, to suit
the action to the word.
• (v. t.) To be fitted to; to accord with; to become; to befit.
• (v. t.) To dress; to clothe.
• (v. t.) To please; to make content; as, he is well suited with his
place; to suit one's taste.
• (v. i.) To agree; to accord; to be fitted; to correspond; --
usually followed by with or to.